Atomic Ivy MMO Development Has Begun!

www.tinyurl.com/BOMB-PLAYLIST-001
(For the JavaScript Tutorials)

10 years ago , I made this prototype .


These are 3 render settings applied to the same multi-layer tilemap. The idea was that if we combine auto tiling with multi-layer and render modes, we can create visually interesting fully destructible geometry for a game.

 
But there was a problem , I wrote this in FLASH and it didn't render in realtime. In 2020 I started learning shader code and started making prototype proof of concepts. I never quite got back to here, but I got to here:




I have made about 4 small proof of concepts , 1 JavaScript game attempt , and 2 C99 game attempts... So far... I haven't finished anything. I really want to make the game we made in 2012 and re-do it using what I've learned about graphics to make a destructible geometry side scroller bomberman game that PLAYS and FEELS like an old NES game , but looks a hell of a lot better.

To accomplish this, I had an idea to implement a thing I call "fractal auto tiling" but it turns out trying to render such a thing is a bit too ambitious for a realtime game. At least at my skill level. But here is one of my results from that attempt.





Now, 10 years later, and I am on what I hope is my FINAL attempt. And we are going all out. We are going to take this game from 2012 (pictured below ).





And turn it into a side-scroller MMO with much better graphics.

You can follow along with the development process in 1 of 2 places:


For [ pro/experienced ] programmers:
www.tinyurl.com/BOMB-PLAYLIST-001

For novice to intermediate programmers:
www.tinyurl.com/BOOM-PLAYLIST-001

These are parallel playlists covering the exact same content. The only difference is that the "pro" playlist tries to cover each code delta in ONE MINUTE while the "novice" playlist tries to cover each video in TEN MINUTES. Because the playlists are completely parallel, it is also feasible to stay on the "pro" playlist and jump over to the "novice" playlist whenever you feel you need a longer explanation of what happened in the video.

Another cool thing I am doing : EVERY SINGLE LINE OF CODE ends with [###] , for example, if the line of code ends with  // [042] it means that line of code was written or edited in video #42. This way if you are reading the source code and something does not make sense, you can find which video the code belonged to.

 I am calling the game "Atomic Ivy MMO" or "AIM" for short.

I plan on committing to 999 videos. Upon finishing of the 999th video, I will re-evaluate my life and decide if I should keep going.

-KanjiCoder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level Isolated Mirroring Brush

Atomic Ivy MMO - GPU Texture Sampling Math Is Wrong

Hooray! Click+Drag! - Atomic Ivy MMO